The following resources have been collected to assist undergraduate students studying (or considering studying) philosophy. If you have a resource you would like to see added to this list, please send us your suggestion.
Why Study Philosophy?
- Philosophy: A brief guide for undergraduates
The APA's guide to philosophy for undergraduates
- Why Major in Philosophy? UNC
UNC’s Philosophy Department shares some reasons why majoring in philosophy is a good idea.
- Why Major in Philosophy? Notre Dame
Notre Dame’s philosophy department explains the benefits of obtaining a degree in philosophy.
- Why Major in Philosophy? Washington University at St. Louis
The department of philosophy at WUSTL describes the types of skills you obtain from studying philosophy.
- 5 Reasons to Major in Philosophy
A video by Kevin deLaplante of the Critical Thinker Academy about the reasons why you should study philosophy.
- Why Major or Minor in Philosophy? Northwestern
The philosophy department at Northwestern provides a brief overview of studying philosophy, including famous individuals who have a degree in philosophy.
- The Philosophy Major at the University of Missouri–St. Louis
This document created by UMSL includes information on careers, salaries, grad school, and well-known philosophy majors.
- "Be Employable, Study Philosophy"
A journalist discusses reasons why the most valuable courses she took were philosophy courses.
- "In a New Generation of College Students, Many Opt for the Life Examined"
An article by Winnie Hu published in the New York Times looks at the trend towards more philosophy majors.
- Philosophy Performance on the LSAT (PDF)
An APA info sheet showing that philosophy majors excel on the law school admission exam as compared to other students.
- Philosophy Performance on the GRE (PDF)
An APA info sheet showing that philosophy majors consistently perform better than their peers on the graduate school admissions test.
- Who Studies Philosophy?
Well-known people in business, politics, entertainment, and other disciplines who studied philosophy at some point in their lives.
- Famous Philosophy Majors Poster
Catherine Nolan, a philosophy graduate student at SUNY Buffalo and an APA member, has created a great poster featuring names and photos of well-known people who majored in philosophy.
- Guide to Graduate Programs in Philosophy
The APA provides this guide to offer prospective philosophy graduate students and others with basic information about the opportunities in North America for professional training in philosophy.
- Graduate School Philosophy Placement Records in the US and Canada: Will I Get a Job?
Andrew Carson analyzed publicly available placement data from philosophy graduate programs. The data he shares on Philosophy News include percentages of graduates by gender, placements broken down by types, and where different program's placement records rank on various metrics.
- Careers for Philosophers
Originally published in the APA Proceedings and Addresses 58:2 (November 1984), this document created by what is now known as the committee on academic career opportunities and placement (then the committee on career opportunities) is well aged but still contains useful information about how training in philosophy can be applied in a wide variety of fields within and beyond academia.
- Philosophy Degress and Famous People who have 'em
An extensive post from Raymont’s Lists of famous people who have studied philosophy as well as a collection of articles that describe why a background in philosophy is useful for a variety of fields.
- I Think, Therefore I Earn?
An article by Jessica Shepherd from the Guardian details the reasons why employers want to hire philosophy majors.
- What Can I Do with a Humanities Degree? by Bruce B. Janz
This page answers several commonly asked questions about the worth of a humanities degree.
- What is Philosophy Good For?
A PDF by APA member Eddy Nahmias of Georgia State University.