Position Opening: Secretary-Treasurer of the Eastern Division
The Executive Committee of the Eastern Division solicits applications for the position of divisional Secretary-Treasurer. The committee hopes to make an appointment before the end of 2012, and it is expected that there will be a transitional year during which the appointee will work with the present Secretary -Treasurer, Richard Bett. The exact date for assuming the position is negotiable.
The Secretary-Treasurer's responsibilities include the following:
Oversight of the Division's annual meeting
(Note: the dates of the Eastern Division meetings will change to early January in the 2015/16 academic year)
- Negotiation of hotel contracts
- Negotiation of contracts with decorating firms for book exhibits
- Assisting the Program Committee Chair in the scheduling of main program sessions
- Scheduling of APA committee and affiliated group sessions
- Working with National Office staff and hotel staff on various aspects of the meeting
- Preparation of the agenda for the Executive Committee meeting and the Business Meeting
Oversight of divisional committees and elections
- Implementation of the Executive Committee's suggestions for the membership of the Program Committee and the Advisory Committee to the Program Committee
- Arrangement of Program Committee meetings (as ex officio member of the Program Committee)
- Oversight of the Nominating Committee's activities
- Preparation of ballot materials
- Tabulation and reporting of ballot results
(Note: it is expected that the Eastern Division will move to electronic ballots prior to the handover of office.)
Oversight of Division's finances
- Handling of income and expense transactions
- Maintaining of financial records for annual audit
- Monitoring of divisional investments
Representation on Board of Officers
- Attending annual Board meeting
- Serving as member of the Chair's Council
The Executive Committee seeks these qualifications in a Secretary-Treasurer:
- A strong record of achievement in philosophy
- Evidence of successful administrative experience
- Respect for different philosophical approaches and the ability to gain the respect of persons representing different approaches to philosophy
- The ability to work productively with a variety of persons, including National Office staff, hotel sales and convention staff, book exhibitors, etc.
- Superior IT skills
A candidate for the position must be a member in good standing of the Eastern Division. Stipend negotiable (including for the transition period), but has recently been approximately $25,000. The position also carries some support for secretarial help.
The search committee is composed of Paul Guyer, Linda Martín Alcoff, Walter Brogan and Richard Bett. Applicants should send a letter of interest, including the names of three references plus contact information. Initial inquiries about the position are also welcome. Both should be directed to Richard Bett at <email@example.com>.