The APA seeks volunteer interns for the 2013-2014 academic year
Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Posted by: Linda Nuoffer
Interns with the American Philosophical Association support
the work of the APA's national office staff and board of officers, serve the
APA's membership, and promote the discipline of philosophy. This is an
excellent opportunity for interns to learn about the internal operations of a
national nonprofit organization.
Internship projects are tailored to the skills and interests
of selected candidates and may include the following:
- Assisting in the membership department (10-20
hours per week)
- Assisting with the development of a guide to undergraduate philosophy programs
- Assisting with the creation of a list of philosophy department chairs
- Researching and reporting on award nominees' service to the philosophy profession
- Researching and reporting on the demographic makeup of the discipline of philosophy
- Assisting with the planning of the APA's three annual divisional meetings as well as board meetings and other events
- Assisting with the preparation of APA publications, including the Proceedings and Addresses
- Occasional help with testing in the IT department
- Assisting the national office staff with additional projects as needed
- Identifying and suggesting additional projects
The APA gives preference to applicants who can work at our national office, which is located on the University of Delaware campus in Newark, DE. However, telecommuting internships may be arranged for exceptional candidates.
Further, the APA gives preference to applicants willing to commit to a full academic year internship, but single semester internships will be considered in special circumstances.
A minimum commitment of 10 hours per week is required for all internships.
To apply, email a resume and cover letter detailing your interest in the position to [email protected]. Electronic applications only—no snail mail or phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled.