The APA board of officers has undertaken an effort to launch an APA blog. The blog will give the APA a major presence in the blogosphere, while helping to serve the mission of the association and providing a forum for the APA to disseminate important information and publicly address the membership on critical issues.
The blog will include a wide variety of content: newsworthy philosophical achievements and successes, topics of philosophical interest, current events outside of philosophy, issues concerning the profession, information about APA events and activities, posts about APA grant-funded projects, and more.
The blog will have a lead editor, assisted by a team of associate editors and members of the APA staff who will serve as managing editors. The editorial team will oversee the blog and its content, working closely with an advisory team and APA leadership. The APA will provide stipends for lead and associate editors.
We now invite applications for the position of lead editor. Applicants for lead editor should be established philosophers with appropriate experience, and must be members of the association. Applications must include a cover letter, a short curriculum vitae (three pages maximum), and a brief statement describing the applicant’s approach to running the blog.
The lead editor's responsibilities will include the following:
- Oversee and participate in the process of editing and approving posts
- Commission posts from APA membership, leadership, and staff
- Conduct outreach to departments and individual philosophers to encourage submitted posts
- Write posts
- Oversee and participate in comment moderation
- Ensure coverage of the divisional meetings and other newsworthy APA events (This would not necessarily require attendance at every meeting, but when the editor is not in attendance, the editor should coordinate with the divisional secretary-treasurers, individual philosophers, and national office staff to ensure that newsworthy information will be posted to the blog in a timely manner.)
- Submit an annual report to the board of officers, including statistics on posts, analytics on web traffic, information about particular successes and challenges, and recommendations and requests for the coming year
For more information about the position, compensation, or the application process, contact Erin Shepherd, the APA’s communications and publications coordinator, at [email protected].
Please enter your contact information into the form fields below. Then you may upload your application as a single PDF file. Please be sure to include a cover letter, a short curriculum vitae (three pages maximum), and a brief statement describing your approach to running the blog. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications received by March 2, 2015, will receive full consideration.