Volunteer interns with the American Philosophical Association support the work of the APA's national office staff and board of officers, serve the APA's membership, and promote the discipline of philosophy. This is an excellent opportunity for interns to learn about the internal operations of a national nonprofit organization.
The APA has volunteer internship opportunities for each semester (fall, winter, spring, and summer). Interested candidates may submit an application at any time.
Internship projects are tailored to the skills and interests of selected candidates and may include the following:
- Assisting with meetings preparation
- Researching and reporting on the demographic makeup of the discipline of philosophy, including statistical analysis
- Assisting with the development of new online and print resources
- Developing and running member satisfaction surveys
- Assessing and improving office and association policies, procedures, and practices
- Assisting with the implementation of the APA strategic plan
- Assisting committees with projects under the supervision of a committee chair
- Assisting with website updates
- Assisting the national office staff with additional projects as needed
- Identifying and suggesting additional projects
The APA gives preference to applicants who can work at our national office, which is located on the University of Delaware campus in Newark, DE. However, telecommuting internships may be arranged for exceptional candidates.
A minimum commitment of 10 hours per week is required for school-year (fall, winter, and spring) internships. Summer internships require a minimum commitment of 20 hours per week.
To apply, fill out the form below and upload (as a single PDF file) your resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in the position. Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled.